Friday 1 June 2007

Sally gets to Settle

We made a decision not to climb "Pen-y- Gent" It looked much simpler to walk across the dale to Settle. There was a clear footpath, or so we thought. I should have known better by now. Running true to form, the footpath disappeared leaving us floundering around for hours, scrambling over walls, only to find ourselves about two miles out of the road from Malham. Maybe £26 wasn't to much for a taxi after all! We stuck to the road & trudged into Settle where Sally made the second, & more sensible, decision of the day to take a train back to York. Her knees were swollen & she couldn't go on. I felt quite guilty waving her off, I somehow felt responsible for her injuries. Still, I couldn't linger. I had to get to Horton-in-Ribblesdale to catch a train myself later that day.

The walk along the "Ribble Valley Way" was straightforward, and flat. Instead of getting the train my sister, Hilary, offered to pick me up. I'd decided to have a rest day in Scarborough. Unfortunately our wires didn't cross (no phone signal) so after calling from the Post Office landline I waited in the pub to be collected. Warming my sore knees by the fire.

No comments: